Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Challenge

In the days ahead, I want to try to expand the reach of the discussion and talk about other ways of serving besides joinin the military. I too often fall back on my own military experiences. But the point of this blog is to get people to share stories of service from all walks of life and then to figure out a way to get everyone in the country to contribute.

These are lofty goals, I understand, but who said life wasn't a challenge?

So, regardless of who's listening, I am going to continue to ask questions. For example, Why do people join the Peace Corps or Teach For America or AmeriCorps? And how can we tap into the volunteering spirit, along with those that serve in the military, and then try to expand the reach of that desire to help others? What specific policies can our leaders put forth to increase the number of people that serve?

Plus, I still owe Nate Fick's NY Times op-ed in which he discusses the all-volunteer military. And I have some comments of the recent Service Story offered by the gentlemen who served in the Navy.

Like I said...a challenge....

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

 

Milblogging.com