Monday, November 23, 2009

Set the Example and Never Bow

In my time as an officer in the Marine Corps, I learned a great many things about what it take to lead. One of the most important lessons was that as a leader my behavior in front of my men was extremely important. I had to set the example. That was a key component to my standing amongst my troops.

So, for example, when I was presented with a difficult decision I could not be seen as unsure or wavering in front of my men. They would have lost all confidence in my ability to lead them.

During one of my tours in Iraq, I was an imbedded advisor to the Iraqi Army. I had to act a certain way in front of the Iraqi soldiers. I had to make sure they understood that I was in command. I had to conduct myself in a certain manner that assured them that I knew what I was doing.

That was the key - the troops, the people you are leading have to have confidence in your ability to get the job done. They have to believe you know what you are doing.

So, why am I harping on this - because you can NOT, I repeat you can NOT achieve this goal by BOWING to an emperor in another country.

Again, you cannot be the President of the United States and bow to a royal from another country. It undermines your credibility. It sends a message of weakness to you adversaries and especially to your own people. How can you lead people if they think you are weak? It doesn't work.

When I was living with Iraq soldiers I had to deal with Iraqis of all ranks. At no point could I show weakness in front of them or their men. Did we observe cultural norms? Of course, but nothing that would undermine our position of strength.

If you look back at past visits by other Presidents - including Bill Clinton - they did not bow. Actually, a report I read says Nixon bowed at one point. If that is the case, then he was wrong as well. Just as I thought it was ridiculous for President Bush to be seen holding hands with the king of Saudi Arabia.

Having been to Iraq, I have seen the hand-holding men do in public. I understand it is part of their culture. But it is not part of ours. President Bush, in trying to be sensitive to the Saudi culture, instead came across as weak to his own countrymen. Since he was our President, he should have been more mindful of his duty to his fellow citizens to represent them from point of strength.

The same should be said of President Obama. Not only was the bow a weak looking symbol, he actually broke Japanese protocol. According to reports, in Japan you are not supposed to bow so low as to lose eye contact with the person you are greeting. Also, you are never supposed to bow AND shake hands at the same time.

So, not only did President Obama show weakness by bowing in the first place, he didn't even show a true understanding of the Japanese customs. A double whammy.

In the future, if you are the leader of the free world, perhaps you should act like it.

The first step would be to set the example and never bow at the feet of others.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

 

Milblogging.com