Thursday, October 22, 2009

Volunteer Ramblings

Even before September 11th happened, I had always wanted to join the military. I always felt that call. Heck, I even volunteered in other ways. I remember delivering food to the elderly as part of the Meals on Wheels program.

Now, this is not to say I am some kind of special person. Not even close. In fact, I think just the opposite. My experience in the Marines showed me just how many other people were out there that heard that same call. I was awed by the sacrifices made by my young Marines.

My position is that this call, this feeling that I should sacrifice for others, is not something that has to be in short supply. I think it is something that can be encouraged and fostered in a much larger number of people. If we not just ask others to sacrifice but demand it, then we can start getting somewhere. Then everyone contributes.

Am I wrong? Am I rambling? Perhaps. But maybe, just maybe, I might be on to something. What do you think?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

 

Milblogging.com